Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Dealing with a fire damage is no easy task, especially in your home or place of business. At SERVPRO we understand how devastating this process is and have some suggestions to help before we can come and restore the damages back normal.
- Make sure children and animals are kept away from the damage
- Stay away from the structure until the fire department has deemed it safe
- Throw away any food that was/could have been exposed to the smoke
- Save all documents even if you think they cannot be salvaged
- Create an inventory of what you are able to recover
- Call the professionals
The professionals at SERVPRO of Williamsburg Greenpoint are certified for cleanup and restorations. When it comes to Fire damage it is something we have a lot of experience with. We truly do understand the toll a fire damage can take and will be there, keeping you updated as we complete your restoration. Before you know it, everything will be back to normal and it will seem "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (917) 809-6562
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.